Tuesday, May 10, 2011

recognition day

a few weeks before April, the principal wanted to know if we, the sped parents, would like to have a moving on ceremony for our kids since the last time they have done it was 4 years ago. i was  thrilled with the idea that they will be having their own program like regular kids. to my excitement, i immediately asked my sister to buy her a nice Sunday dress that she could wear for the ceremony. unfortunately, she was not able to wear the lovely yellow dress that day because they were asked to wear school uniform. 
the ceremony was held in a hotel near the school. the banquet room is big enough to accommodate all the students, parents and teachers. parents sit with the kids and go with them as they receive the certificates. selected students did a song and dance number. program has to be kept short as the kids' waiting skills are short too. =)
it's time to award the deserving students. the night before the occasion, i was joking with my husband telling him that i hope my daughter will not be recognized for sleeping too often during class or being late sometimes. or she might get the best in "trip to jerusalem" award coz she always win whenever they play it, hehehe!!
when my daughter was called i saw on the screen 4 awards. best in cognitive skills, best in self help, best in writing and best in arts. i was ecstatic, immediately held my daughter's hand and up we go to the stage. just before we reached the stage, i looked at her and whispered to her ear, "im so proud of you, anak". she smiled at me. she was happy. i know she understood what she has achieved. she was happy the whole event and i was smiling the whole day. knowing that my daughter will be mainstreamed is already a blessing for us, but when i saw her awards, the days when i was shattered with my child's condition came flashing into my head. the days when i was asking God why He has forsaken me. those awards have made me realize that He never left me. that He has always been by my side all along.i know it was so wrong to question Him, but during those days it was really hard for me to accept things that easily. i may have not realized it then, but i know now that He will help me get through this rocky road. Who would have thought that my daughter will be considered for mainstream this early when my dev pedia said that it would take a few yrs hopefully when she's 7 then she can be in regular class? Life is really unpredictable. there is no one to trust but Him.


God's promises are like the stars; the darker the night the brighter they shine.  ~David Nicholas

No comments:

Post a Comment