Saturday, March 19, 2011

God Knows Exactly What He's Doing

this is my favorite poem... errr im not sure if this is a poem or what. =) well, i guess God has been watching me for the longest time and when i asked Him to bless me with a child i know He didn't commit a mistake..i know He knows exactly what He's doing...

Special Moms for Special Kids: God Knows Exactly What He's Doing
By Erma Bombeck

Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures and a couple by habit.
This year, nearly 100,000 women will become mothers of disabled children. Did you ever wonder how mothers of disabled children are chosen?
Somehow I visualize God hovering over Earth selecting his instruments for propagation with great care and deliberation. As he observes, he instructs his angels to make notes in a giant ledger.
"Armstrong, Beth, son, patron saint, Matthew. Forrest, Marjorie, daughter, patron saint, Cecilia."
"Rudledge, Carrie, twins, patron saint...give her Gerard. He's used to profanity."
Finally, he passes a name to an angel and smiles, "Give her a handicapped child."
The angel is curious. "Why this one, God? She's so happy."
"Exactly," says God. "Could I give a handicapped child a mother who does not know laughter? That would be cruel."
"But has she patience?" asks the angel.
"I don't want her to have too much patience or she will drown in a sea of self-pity and despair. Once the shock and resentment wear off, she'll handle it.
I watched her today. She has that feeling of self and independence that is so rare and so necessary in a mother. You see, the child I'm going to give her has his own world. She has to make it live in her world, and that's not going to be easy."
"But, Lord, I don't think she even believes in you."
God smiles. "No matter. I can fix that. This one is perfect. She has just enough selfishness."
The angel gasps, "Selfishness? Is that a virtue?"
God nods. "If she can't separate herself from the child occasionally, she'll never survive. Yes, here is a woman whom I will bless with a child less than perfect. She doesn't realize it yet, but she is to be envied. She will never take for granted a 'spoken word.' She will never consider a 'step' ordinary. When her child says 'Momma' for the first time, she will be present at a miracle and know it! When she describes a tree or a sunset to her blind child, she will see it as few people ever see my creations.
I will permit her to see clearly the things I see...ignorance, cruelty, prejudice... and allow her to rise above them. She will never be alone. I will be at her side every minute of every day of her life, because she is doing my work as surely as she is here by my side."
"And what about her patron saint?" asks the angel, pen poised in midair.
God smiles. "A mirror will suffice

5 comments:

  1. Hi, my daughter has been diagnosed with autism, she is 2 yrs old, I found your site very very useful for my research, i hope you can give me more tips and insights from your experiences. I hope we all get our child out of sleep and into the real world! thanks steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi steve. thanks for reading my blog. my daughter was also diagnosed at age 2 although i was seeing signs at 1.6. my dev ped said early intervention is crucial so i immediately enrolled her to ot, sped and speech. at home we do self help skills,pretend play and some heavy work like pedaling a bike. since im a Catholic, i also teach her to do sign of the cross and say a little pray before bedtime.=)
    hope I'm able to help you in one way or another. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, actually I myself saw the signs at 1yr 8months, also when my sister, a nurse in the us, noticed her poor eye contact. our pedia said it is very inconclusive at her current age, she may just be delayed, so we waited up to her 2nd bday and there, she was officially diagosed with gdd. We went to Dr Leones bec our dev pedia is a traditional one, we wanted a dan doctor. she is currently on 8th hbot and 1 week gfcf diet, plus now vitamins and probiotics leones prescribed today. I am now in the process of looking for an ABA. your blog has helped me a lot since we are in the dark with this situation. I am also going to import her medications, vitamins and gfcf foods from the US through my sister, bec some of the stuffs like the digestive enzymes are way way overpriced, $15 in the US against P3,500 here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are absolutely right.gfcf stuff and supp are really expensive. did dr. leones advised u to use hbot? i have read that hbot can trigger seizure but can also heal it that's why im also thinking of using it for my kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we did hbot on our own even before gfcf diet adn dra leones, we noticed she is very calm after the treatment and eye contact has improved just after 2 dives. it is very expensive at 1000 per dive but we found the one in corinthian gardens clubhouse at 500/dive. I will update you after our 20th dive, this is where they say results are noticeable. in my research on the internet, infants with seizures are treated with hbot at even lower pressure than mild hbot, and the results are very good. so far my daughter seems to be responding well to the treatment at 4.2psi

    ReplyDelete